Monday, April 12, 2010

Daily Life in FUNgarvan


While we've had the opportunity to do some traveling around Ireland while we're here, some of my best memories of Ireland will be from Dungarvan, or "The Garv," as we've nicknamed it. (Another personal favorite nickname of mine is FUNgarvan.) From the minute we arrived, this town has felt like home, which is saying a lot, considering it is halfway across the world.

Dungarvan is the perfect place for our type of program- not too big that we're overwhelmed by crowds or crime, but big enough to prevent us from ever being bored. The people of Dungarvan, especially the town council, have been overwhelmingly kind to us over the past four weeks. They even purchased bicycles for us to use while we're here! Speaking of bicycles, Taylor, Melissa, Jill and I took advantage of a beautiful day recently and had our friend Eoin cycle to the beach with us. Something I've learned while I've been here that has absolutely nothing to do with academics is to just live. While at Mercyhurst, I get so focused on schoolwork and my job and friends that I forget what's really important- life! There's nothing like a day at the (freezing cold/Irish) beach to remind you to slow down and enjoy the ride.

There is an Irish proverb that says "Nil aon tintean mar do thintean fein"- "There is no fireside like your own fireside." Well, now I think it's safe to say that I have two firesides- home, and Dungarvan.

1 comment:

  1. Up the deise !

    As a dungarvan native it's great to hear you had a good time

    ReplyDelete