Thursday, March 25, 2010

Avatar

Recently in our Cross-Cultural Symbology class with Keiko Miller we watched James Cameron's film Avatar. Many of the people in the class had already seen it, but I had not taken part in the frenzy to buy tickets before it even arrived in theaters. For some reason, I didn't share the desire to see it until Keiko announced that we'd be watching it in class. Normally, I believe that too many movies today are being released in 3D. Avatar, however, should be shown in 3D whenever possible, and I'm somewhat disappointed that I was so reluctant to see it in theaters.

While watching the movie, we were able to pick out many symbols that we had talked about during class, as well as parallels to our current experiences in Ireland. It might sound crazy, but Ireland is working out to be a Pandora of sorts for many of us. Unusual sights and languages are all around, and the overall beauty of this place can be overwhelming at times. I found myself identifying with the main character as he tried to learn about the Na'vi culture- we've had our fair share of mix-ups with the slang here thus far!

Aside from watching Avatar, we're gearing up for our trip to Dublin this weekend, continuing to explore Dungarvan and the surrounding area, and loving life here in Ireland. Slainte! (Cheers!)

No comments:

Post a Comment