Monday, March 22, 2010

What a bunch of Blarney!


It seems like every weekend in Ireland is full of adventures! This weekend we took a trip to Cork City- definitely my favorite place we've been so far. The highlight of the day was driving about 15 minutes outside the city to visit Blarney Castle (and, of course, the Blarney Stone!). Jill, Melissa, Taylor, Eoin and I climbed the approximately 13-story tower up the narrowest stairs I've ever climbed to see the famed stone. With only a rope to help steady you as you climb, the stairs were very intimidating! As someone who is scared of heights, I started to think maybe it wasn't the best idea to try to get to the top.
Once we got to the top of the tower, however, it was all worth it. The views from the castle are amazing and offer another beautiful view of the landscape of Ireland. Once we got to the top it was time to kiss the Blarney Stone. Because of my aforementioned problem with heights, I decided against leaning over backwards and being held up by the gentleman who worked there to kiss the stone, but I still enjoyed the journey!

Whenever we visit an amazing historical site, I can't help but be in awe of this amazing country. It seems like everywhere you look there is something significant to see or do. Being here has really opened my eyes to the beauty of this world!

No comments:

Post a Comment