Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Final days of Eire


As our time in Ireland is winding down, I thought I would reflect on what made our trip the amazing experience it was. I'll never forget my time here, and I know I'll be back to visit all of the wonderful people who made our ten weeks here as unforgettable as they have been.

Without our friends Tom Keith, Joe Moynihan, Joe O'Flaherty, Fearghal Reidy, and many many others, we wouldn't have gotten the opportunity to come to Dungarvan. We owe this experience to their selfless hard work and determination to bring the students of Mercyhurst to Dungarvan. On the other side of the pond, Dr. Hosey, Dr. Reed, Dr. Synder, Dr. Federici, Dr. McGurk, and Ms. Miller were all so amazing in giving up their personal time and lives in Erie to come to Ireland with us and be our teachers and friends. There are also a few locals who deserve a shout-out. Our best Irish friend-Eoin-did so much for us over our ten weeks here. From taking us to the Blarney Stone to simply being our friend when we were so far from home, his contribution to this experience was awesome. Everyone that we have met here has been so incredible to us.

When we arrived, I was apprehensive about spending so much time away from everything I knew- friends, family, school and work. Now I know that I am more than capable of doing things for myself. Studying abroad has given me the confidence to know that I can be a more independent person. Being in Ireland has also helped me learn to enjoy life, and take things as they come. Before Ireland, I fear that I took everything far too seriously- certainly not a problem in Ireland. In such an easygoing place, it was wonderful to just be able to sit back and be on "Irish Time" for a while.

The friends I have made here will be lifelong. They have really made the experience what it was for me. Without these people- people who I have probably seen around campus hundreds of times without knowing who they were- my personal Ireland experience would not have been as wonderful. Talking to friends who have done their study abroad experience alone, I am so thankful that I could share mine with 25 other Mercyhurst students who have become some of my closest friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment